Sunday, March 26, 2017

A painful memento

Welcome, welcome!:)

At the beginning I would like to apologize that it was no post last sunday. It is not that I simply brushed it off, absolutely not, I was pretty busy with my personal duties and I didn't have much time to collect my thoughts concerning an idea, which had appeared in my mind, and share them with you. I promise I will compensate you, my readers, for my negligence and I will make one extra post in the near future, to repair the messed up schedule.

So today I want to pay your attention to another, beautifully created, heartbreaking game which undoubtedly constitues a pearl among the others. It breaks all those outdated stereotypes spreaded by people who are convinced that this particular category of entertainment cannot be used to lofty aims, that it does not represent any value as its functionning is reduced to some thoughtless clicking. That dragon, cancer denies, with such ease, this awful theory. Why? The game is a collection of memories of Ryan and Amy Green, the parents whose 5-years-old son called Joel died due to cancer, who was diagnosed scarcely 12 months after his birth. It is a personal diary which lets you immerse into a heartaching struggle of two people who tried their best to, at least a little bit, sweeten the short, marked by pain, life of their lovely child. In the game you are put into different places where you interact with objects and Joel to reconstruct the memory while you are listenning to the parents interiour dilemmas and slowly meeting their personal thoughts, experiencing the emotions and fears they were forced to face, practically everyday. It is a sentimental journey where you can come across lots of touching letters, cards and voicemails dedicated to the Greens in which people, who'd been in the same or similar situation, show their support to the suffering family. The saddest, most overwhelming scenes are the ones where pain, sorrow and helplessness, the loyal companions of the parents, are presented in a pretty metaphorical way. There is a scene in which a doctor informs Ryan and Amy that the medical treatement did not bring the results they hoped for and it is, as they called it, a tragedy. After the horrible announcement, you can see the water slowly pouring through the windows into the room and you can hear the echo of the words which broke the parents hearts into pieces. In one moment, their world crashed, making them drown in their own tears. In the Internet you can easily find interviews where Ryan and Amy explain that the game was a part of long, healing process and that they hope it will help other parents in similiar situations cope with the pain and grief. 

In my opinion it is one of the most beautiful and touching games I have ever seen which does not need any recommondation. If you are interested, please go and check it, it is worth to be seen. That's all for today! Bye!;)

No comments:

Post a Comment