Saturday, November 5, 2016

Welcome to the Overwatch Universe!

Hello guys!:)
Today I want to present you a video game which plot astonished me, like literally left me speachless. I must admit that at the beginning I was really sceptical about it, the chucks of the game which I saw didn't impress me at all. I remember looking at it and murmuring to myself: 'just another shooter, nothing original' but (!) the truth is I didn't bother myself to go and check what that game really is about. Now when I recall what my thoughts were I am so ashamed of myself. My judgement was nothing but rough and unjust. I cannot believe how wrong I was. And what actually changed my poor point of view? The absolutely stunning animations, relationships between characters and the incredible plot that make Overwatch one of the best video games I have ever seen. I deeply studied the history which is presented inside the play and it really absorbed me. The concept is so interesting I would love to see a movie that would be based on it!



Now let me introduce you to the incredible world of Overwatch! (at least a bit:) The story is set about 60 years into the future of a fictionalized Earth, 30 years after the Omnic Crisis was prevented. Before the crisis the people lived in wealth, peacefully while the technology (the symbol of powerness of human's brain) was slowly reaching its peek. People achieved to create robots with artificial intelligence called Omnics which were produced world-wide in automated omnium services and also used to maintain economic equality. The problems began when the omniums released a series of agressive, dangerous robots that revolted against humans. The United Nations immediately set up an organisation called Overwatch, a group of people who had to protect the citizens, combat the Omnics and establish peace. However, after a several years of Overwatch maintaing public order, the conflicts inside and out of the organisation started to slowly devoring it. The scandals, allegations, the clash between its commanders and the outcry of citizens prompted The United Nations to dismiss Overwatch. After it the world plunged into chaos, the actes of terrorism were appearing in different countries. In that moment the first members of Overwatch decide to bring the organisation back to life, recruit new people and fight like in old times.



I highly recommend you to watch all of the animation clips (click to watch!) that were created by Overwatch team. All of them are little masterpieces that will help you to better understand the plot. In my post I would like to mention one of them called Hero (click to watch!) where the producers touched a very problematic issue. In the clip you can see a group of men who are abusing an Omnic which is lying on the ground, scared, not being able to defend himself. The men suddenly notice a little girl and tell her to join them to hit the poor robot. Seeing how terrified the Omnic is the girl hesitates and says she will not do it while the men shouting at her repeating that it's just a machine, it doesn't have feelings. In my opinion this scene is incredibly important, it poses a question: Is having feelings only the trait of humans? Do the robots, the artificial intelligence, the work of human's hands, has no right to feel pain, to love, to be scared? There are people who claim that even animals don't have them with which I highly disagree and I consider that opinion just inacceptable.


As you can see the Overwatch is not some ordinary video game. It really has an amazing plot, great characters with interesting personalities and origins and that it touchs very problematic questions that maybe in the future will be debated by people around the world. So go and check the game if you have not done it yet! You will not regret it, trust me! It's all for today, see ya in the next post! Bye!:)              

No comments:

Post a Comment